Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Styles Catching Touchdowns and Media Attention



Fulton senior Wide Receiver Courtland Styles is making his presence felt in Region 2-3A. Even though his start to the season was delayed, he has quickly made an impact for the Falcons. After four games Styles has amassed 25 catches for 283 yards and 5 Touch Downs, while averaging 11 yards per play. Courtland has been featured recently by several media outlets. Here are a few:

Styles making most of belated move to Fulton (KNS Article)

The only real estate Courtland Styles concerns himself with these days is the plush, 10-yard-deep lot known as the end zone.

It's not difficult to sell him on its location, location, location.

But while the senior wide receiver for the Fulton High School football team is a rookie when it comes to ARMs, escrow or equity, he has a newfound appreciation for the workings of the real-estate business.

"I don't know much about it," he said. "I just know it's gotta get done."

Styles, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound transfer from Central, missed the first two games this season while his parents' lengthy move to the Fulton school district was finalized. Watching the Falcons (2-3) start 0-2 with losses to Oak Ridge and Anderson County stung.

"That hurt," he said. "I'm not used to being on the sidelines, especially in crunch-time moments. ... It wasn't a good feeling."

Even Fulton's third game was in question for Styles. Unsure of his status the night before the Sept. 12 game with Tyner, Styles' night of sleep wasn't a good one. The next day, he fielded questions in the hallways but he couldn't offer a firm answer.

He finally learned his fate later that afternoon.

"While I was in school, everything was getting handled," he said. "Everything was getting moved into the house. The KUB bills were getting switched over. As of fourth block, 15 minutes left in fourth block, that's when I got the OK that I was for-sure playing."

Styles' impact has been felt. He's scored in every game. The Falcons nearly knocked off state-ranked Tyner in his first showing and followed that with two wins. Styles has 21 catches for 247 yards and four touchdowns and is pitching in some time at safety.

Fulton can jump back into the Region 2-3A playoff picture with a win at Scott tonight. But before that happens, Styles must answer these 10 questions ...


1. I know you play a little basketball. How many days per year are you not involved in sports?

Honestly, I can't say that. The only time I see myself sitting out is a bye week or the offseason. And when it's offseason, I'm probably still doing something. My dad, he doesn't like me sitting down at all.

2. Where is your sanctuary? Where do you go to get your mind in order?

One on one with my dad. My dad keeps my head right. When my head is spinning or I'm just losing it or I just need some time to focus, I sit my dad down, one on one, and he gets me right. He lets me know what I need to know, what I need to do and gets me right. My dad, he's my motivator. He motivates me - ever since I've been in sports, he's been right there with me to let me know what's right. He's also been a devil's advocate at the same time.

What do you mean by that?

He's my worst critic. (Laughs.) My worst critic.

3. When you line up across from a defensive back, what's your best (trash-talking) line?

You will not win. (Laughs). You will not win.

Are you a big trash talker?

Not at all. I will say that when I was younger, a sophomore or a junior, I did a lot of trash talking. My dad also said that the more trash talk I talk the worse I look. So I cut that out a little bit.

4. When's the last time you dropped a wide-open catch?

Man, I'm going to have to say - I know I haven't this year - I'm going to have to say my junior year. I'm pretty sure I dropped one last year. I ain't gonna lie.

What do you remember more: touchdowns or drops?

I remember the ones I didn't catch. There's nothing worse than missing a wide-open pass.

5. There's a song out right now called "Get Like Me (Stuntin' is a Habit)." Can you explain that?

Yeah. Only you can be you. If someone likes it or doesn't like it, all you can tell them is 'Get like me.' (Laughs).

All right. What's your favorite song right now?

I'll probably have to say Young Jeezy, the whole new album, "The Recession." ... Ever since that's been out, I'm somewhere in the corner with my headphones on, listening to "The Recession."

6. What's something surprising people may not know about Courtland Styles?

If you don't know me, you probably wouldn't take on that I'm a real goofy kid. The people I didn't know before, that I have gotten to know, were like, "You looked mean. You never smiled." But once you get to know me, I'm a real outgoing, goofy type of kid.

7. Last good book you've read or movie you've seen?

I'm not real sure. I just watched "ATL" last night, but that came out a while ago. I can't think of the most recent one.

Did it bother you to see (rapper) T.I. roller-skating in that movie?

(Laughs). No, not at all!

It didn't damage his image in your eyes?

Not at all.

8. Why are mohawks coming back? Why are guys getting jersey numbers and names shaved into their heads again?

I honestly can't tell you, because, me, myself, I would never put a mohawk in my head. But as far as the numbers and names and stuff, I don't know. It's just the new style. Here soon, I'm going to get my name put in my head, too.

So you'll get your name put in there, but not a mohawk?

Nah. No mohawk.

Not even if Fulton makes it to the championship game, and the night before everyone is getting them?

If a whole bunch of people want me to, I'd probably do it just for the fans. But if it was up to just me, I wouldn't get a mohawk put in my head.

9. What is Courtland Styles' style like?

I always got to keep a fresh pair of Air Force Ones on, or some Jordans - and a fitted cap. I keep a fitted cap on my head if I'm not at school.

10. One weekend, when you're free, will you take me down to Players over there on Broadway?

(Laughs). Yeah, I got you. I got a couple of spots. I got a couple of spots that not everybody knows about.

I've just always seen their commercials and wanted to go.

Yeah, I'll get you right.

One more thing: Apple Bottom jeans, nice or over-rated?

I'll say overrated. My lady don't wear 'em.



2009 Standout Changing His Style (Rivals.com Article):

One of the most surprising stories in the Knoxville area this summer in the regards to high school football, was the unexpected transfer of star athlete Courtland Styles Jr.(6 foot 4, 200 lbs) from Knoxville(TN) Central High School to the Fulton High School Falcons. To some the move was seen as controversial, but to Styles the move was fueled out of necessity.

Styles, who was an All-Region selection at Central in '07 and will play WR/FS for Fulton, had 56 catches for over 700 yds last season and double digit touchdowns for his former team. Arguably the top recieving talent in East Tennesssee, Styles along the way he has picked up interest from teams such as Louisville, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Tennessee -Martin. "I'm interested in anyone, I'm not picky. I just want to play college ball", said Styles.


In terms of his transition to his new school, Styles feels as though the change is a good fit. "I feel like I'm in a better environment, I feel like I'm at home. At first, I had some reservations, because of my friends at Central, but it (transferring) was something I had to do in the best interest of my future".

"I still talk to some of the Central players, and there are no hard feelings. I want them to be successful, but I have to do what's best for me as a player. I want to win a state championship and Fulton gives me the opportunity to do that".

So how has he handled the whispers and rumors about his exodus from the Bobcats?

"Yeah, I've heard all the rumors about why I left Central, but really for me, it was just a chance to be in a better situation overall."

Styles has had the opportunity to work with his new Falcon teammates this summer in the recent national 7-on-7 passing tourney at the University of Tennessee. If the early returns of his performance at the event are any indication, expect Styles to have a monster season. "I scored 5 TD's in one game against a team from Ohio. The passing tourney was a great experience for me and my teammates".

With the Falcons being a very young team, alot of the leadership roles have fallen on Styles, and that is something that he embraces. "We are a young team, but these young guys can play, they are stepping up. Everybody has a role and there is no selfishness on this team, I want to be a leader on and off the field for these guys."

"Coach Coatney the other coaches and the players have been great in making me feel apart of this team. I just want to win".


Fulton Highlighted by MAXPREPS During Week 5 vs. Morristown East

No comments: