Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Former Falcon Chris Pitchford to Start In Moc's Opener versus No. 4 Oklahoma

Chris Pitchford, a 2006 Fulton graduate and member of the 2003 and 2004 State Championship teams, has worked his way up the depth chart and has became a popular target for UTC’s quarterbacks. Because of his work this off-season, Pitchford will see significant time in the UT-Chattanooga Moccasins season opener versus the fourth ranked Oklahoma Sooners on August 30 at 7:10 PM EST. Chris stated this preseason that he has experienced a big boost in confidence from the the Moc's coaching staff whom have expressed that "they have the utmost faith in him, want him to get the majority of the snaps and feel he is the best one-on-one threat on the team."

Pitchford Catching More (Chattanooga Times Free Press Article):
“I’ve been in the system going on three years, so I feel like the plays are ingrained on my mind,” he said after the first of the Mocs’ two practices Friday at Scrappy Moore Field.
“I know what to do. I just have to go out there and execute. I feel like I’m as good a one-on-one player as we’ve got, so I’ve just got to make it happen.”
The sophomore from Knoxville redshirted his first season, in 2006, and saw limited action last season. In nine games, he totaled six receptions for 85 yards.
“My confidence is through the roof right now,” he said. “I feel like if I see (the ball), if I can get my hands on it, it’s caught.”
Pitchford is one of the Mocs’ smaller receivers at 6-foot, 179 pounds, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in speed. Wide receivers coach Jason McManus said Pitchford is one of UTC’s fastest players, with a 40-yard time right at 4.4 seconds. That makes him a true deep threat.
Beyond that, McManus said, one key to Pitchford’s emergence has been tutelage from UTC’s strength and conditioning coach.
“The biggest difference is his work in the weight room this summer — his overall strength and explosion,” McManus said. “Coach (Scott) Brincks did an excellent job this summer as far as getting him more physical and getting him faster.”




Five Questions with Wide Receiver Chris Pitchford (Chattanooga Free Press Article):

1. What’s been the best moment of your athletic career?

That would have to be in high school when my team (Fulton) won back-to-back state championships my sophomore and junior years. That was the best time of my life, being on top of the world and winning championships.

2. If you could sit down to any meal, what would it be?

My mother does a good macaroni and cheese, green beans, homemade mashed potatoes and steak.

3. If you could meet any living person, who would it be?

Michael Jordan.

4. What movie can you watch over and over again without getting tired of it?

Any Will Ferrell movie, and I love Chris Tucker, too.

5. What sports team has the best uniforms?

I love USC ... the red tops with the gold pants and white socks.


UTC MOCS PLAYER PROFILE

No comments: